Monday, August 15, 2016

Study Guides by Unit for AP Biology


In going through the process of the AP Biology course audit and writing my syllabus, I came across the work of some people who inspired me to make these study guides.  The College Board has four sample syllabi, and both #2 and #3 talked about a list of enduring understandings or science practices that they provided students to self-assess themselves as they went through the course and also to help them keep view of the overarching themes of the course.  I had also seen an AP Biology Essential Knowledge Student Diagnostic done by Jeremy Conn on Clear Biology.  I decided that it may be helpful for my students to have a chart of the enduring understandings, essential knowledge, and learning objectives that are included in each unit that we study.  The process of putting these together was also helpful to me, to make sure that the course I teach really does include each of these items.  I have one huge file that includes directions for students on how to use the charts as well as all the charts for the 10 units the course is divided into.  I also have 10 smaller files: one for each unit I teach. If you want to see which chapters are in each unit, you can see them in my syllabus.

Enduring Understandings, Essential Knowledge, and Learning Objectives by Unit

Unit 1 Chart-Biochemistry

Unit 2 Chart-Cells

Unit 3 Chart-Cellular Energetics

Unit 4 Chart-Cell Reproducion

Unit 5 Chart-Mendelian Heredity

Unit 6 Chart-Molecular Genetics

Unit 7 Chart-Evolution

Unit 8 Chart-Plant Form and Function

Unit 9 Chart-Ecology

Unit 10 Chart-Animal Form and Function

4 comments:

  1. This is wonderful, thank you for creating and sharing these documents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing these! I am returning to the classroom after nine years of being home with my babies. In am excited but feeling very overwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope these are helpful then! On this blog I also have links to reading guides for both the big Campbell Biology book as well as for Biology in Focus 2nd edition. Feel free to use as needed.

      Delete