Sunday, October 8, 2017

Monomer to Polymer Game



About midway through the year last year, I stumbled across the National AP Biology teacher Facebook group. I must confess that now most of my time on Facebook is reading discussions in the group and not as much time keeping up with what my friends have had for dinner. =) One of the benefits to starting the school year so late in New York (after Labor Day), is that I actually have time to put together ideas I find by people who have already started their school year. A post from late in the summer this year was by Mary Neimeyer who made up a polymer building game to help drive home the understanding of dehydration synthesis and hydrolysis. Then another teacher in the group, Kelly Riedell added some more details and cards. I pieced them together and decided to make my own cards and modify the rules a little. We finally got to playing the game today and it was a huge hit.  From the group that got cut-throat competitive I heard, "I can't believe we're yelling about monomers and dehydration synthesis!" The other group asked me if they could have the game pieces to play it in study hall.



I put together the directions that Kelly Riedell made with Mary's description with some modifications and made playing cards for the game.  The directions can be found here. And the game cards can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment