Friday, October 7, 2016

Organelle Elections


Over the summer I found an article by Brad Graba on the NSTA blog who had turned learning about the cellular organelles into an election campaign. As the nation's election nears, it seemed an appropriate activity to help the students to learn their organelles.


Each pair of students had to design a campaign poster for their chosen organelle.  They could be creative with their slogans, but each slogan had to relate to some function of that organelle.  They also had to create 4 mudslinging posters against other organelles that they were hoping wouldn't win the election.


I put together a document of instructions to get the students going.


Here are a few of the smear posters.


As we were grading the quizzes on the organelle chapter after this activity, several times I heard, "I got that one right because of your presentation!"  I didn't lecture and they learned what they needed to know.  That's a win in my books.



No comments:

Post a Comment