Thursday, April 6, 2017

Floor Bingo in AP Biology



On Thursdays I have my AP Biology class for a triple period--which gives me two hours with them. This is fantastic for those long labs. We have time to set up, run, and clean up the lab. But this 2 hour class is in the afternoon-the last three periods of the day in fact. I have students come in sometimes with their energy levels so low I feel I need a spatula to scrape them off the desk. I could start each Thursday with a quick Kahoot! which this class is obsessed with, but I wanted something different to get them excited and MOVING if at all possible. As I perused Pinterest, I saw something about BINGO. Our classroom floor tiles are squares, and our room is big enough (if we move the tables) for two 5x5 BINGO squares.



I used Google Slides to make 25 labels--one for each square of the BINGO board.  I kept the labels generic (true, false, A, B, C, D, etc...), so I could use them with whatever topic we're working on. Then I just have to change the questions if I want to use it again when we're in a new unit.  I'll laminate them to help them last longer too.



When I made the questions, I included two copies of each question, and after cutting them all into strips, I paper clipped matching questions together. This way, students will take turns picking a question out of a hat and will have one copy of the question for their team and one copy for the other team.  Each team will lay the question on the square they believe is the answer to the question.  That way, when a team calls, "BINGO!" I can quickly check the questions and answers. It will also allow for discussions about any missed questions.

Here's the file I created for the floor tiles. And this is the set of questions I made for the evolution BINGO game. I also made a set of questions to review for our ecology unit.

We finally did this today in class.  We did it for the last 25 minutes of our two hour class and the students stated active and involved the whole time. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment