Sunday, February 26, 2017

Watching Student Understanding with EDpuzzle



In addition to teaching AP Biology in a traditional school, I also teach a Biology class at a homeschool consortium once a week. I only have these students for 90 minutes a week. I use that time to complete a lab--choosing them carefully to help support the content of the course that they are learning primarily at home.



We use a textbook and have weekly reading assignments with notes for them to complete.  I could tell though that students weren't always grasping the material they were reading about. I kept seeing tweets about EDpuzzle and decided to give it a try. I love it!



Before EDpuzzle, I regularly would assign them a video to watch along with their reading assignment, but there was no way for me to know if they actually watched it or if they understood.  With EDpuzzle, not only can I assign a video to watch, but I can add questions and comments throughout the video to emphasize important concepts and test their understanding.



Before class even begins, I am able to see who has watched the videos, how many times, and check their answers to the questions to get a picture of how well they are comprehending the material. Each student chose a user name and password and were enrolled in my class. Now I have a dashboard that allows me a quick overview of how the class is progressing.



EDpuzzle even integrates with Google Classroom. That doesn't help me for my consortium class, but if I wanted I could pull my AP Biology class in with one click.


There are 1000s of pre-made video lessons you could use if you don't want to make your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment