Monday, January 30, 2017

Jelly Bean Heredity



Last year when I was looking for a lab activity to help my students understand the basics of Mendelian Genetics I came across the hands-on activity, Heredity Mix and Match on teachengineering.org.



In my Advanced Life Science class last week we made jelly bean babies. In this lab investigation we're working on distinguishing genotypes from phenotypes and how they are interconnected. We also had discussions about being homozygous and heterozygous for a trait, and even squeezed in a few Punnet squares with a review of dominant and recessive genes. All the students enjoy naming their newly created baby and parents-even the ones I would have never guess would get into it.


I reformatted the Heredity Mix and Match from teachengineering.org into a Google Doc with a just a few minor changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment